So I made one of my favorites, baingan bharta. Or as I like to call it, bangin' berta.
Onions, garlic, jalapeno, and tomatoes. The base for any indian sabji.
roasted eggplant. I baked it in the toaster oven for 45 minutes at 450 degrees. I think it could've gone a little longer.
done! By the way, this is the first time i have EVER COOKED INDIAN FOOD by myself. I only had to call my parents from the grocery store and beforehand to get the recipe :). Not bad.
Edit: Here's the requested recipe.
1. Bake 1 large or 2 medium sized eggplants in the oven at 450 for 45 minutes to an hour. Poke holes in them first to vent, and line the tray with aluminum foil because they will leak a lot. My dad wanted me to roast them over an open stove flame for 30 minutes but I used the toaster oven which was way easier. When it's done remove the skin and mush/chop it all up.
2. Chop up 2 onions (I did 1.5), 2 tomatoes, 3 cloves of garlic, and 1 jalapeno pepper
3. Add a few tablespoons of oil to a pot, brown the onions. At the halfway point add the garlic and continue browning.
4. Add the tomatoes and jalapeno, stir and cook for a few minutes
5. Add (this is really rough) salt to taste (half a teaspoon?), half a teaspoon of tumeric, and however much red pepper you want
6. Add the eggplant. Cook for a little while longer, stirring frequently. Add some garam masala at the end and garnish with cilantro if you have it. Done! Serve with naan, roti, pitas, or rice.